- 24 participants starting with the same Mac Mahon score. This
Mac Mahon score is the same as the top-bar Mac Mahon score of
the EGC Main tournament.
- 4 preliminary rounds with McMahon system, 3 rounds playoffs
for the top 8 players after round 4.
- All games of the seven rounds are played under the same rules
as in the EGC Main Tournament with time limit 2.5 hours basic
time + 3x 1 minute byoyomi.
- In each preliminary round the players are ordered according
to: 1) number of wins, 2) entry EGF rating as of July 15
before the European Championship, 3) lotery
- The players with two lost games in the preliminary rounds
leave immediately the European Championship and may continue
playing in the EGC Main tournament.
- In case of 5 players with two losses after round 4 of the
preliminaries, the top player with two losses still qualifies
for the playoffs while the 4 other players leave the European
- Pairing of players with the same number of wins is done
according to their ordering, folded system (the top player
with the bottom player etc), in the 4th round the top player
with 3 wins will play the bottom player with 2 wins.
- After round 4, the top 8 players continue the EC as a
knockout tournament (1-8, 2-7 etc in the quarterfinals
provided the opponents did not play each other in a previous
- Aside the finals a game for 3rd place is played to establish
placements of top 4 players.
- All games excluding those played in the semifinals and finals
count for the EGC Main Tournament as well.