- The pairs must be formed in a way that the pair rank (exact
average of the two players' ranks) is not higher than 5.5
- The best 32 pairs play qualification in four groups (top
pairs seeded), 4 pairs from each group qualify for the
- Japanese rules are used, even games with komi 6.5. In the
qualifications, the thinking time is 30 minutes and 3x 20
seconds byoyomi, then 40 minutes and 3x 20 seconds byoyomi
are used in the playoff finals.
- The remaining pairs (beyond the top 32) play in a side
tournament, 4-6 rounds (depending on a number of
participants), Swiss system, handicap games, Japanese rules,
even games komi 6.5, the thinking time is 30 minutes and 3x
20 seconds byoyomi. The handicap is given by rounding down
the difference in ranks of the two pairs. The maximal
handicap is 9 stones. White wins ties.
- The conduct should express a friendly and sportsmanlike
atmosphere. The order of play is female Black, female White,
male Black, male White. In games with handicap stones female
- A pair may exchange only the following information: A player
may ask whose turn it is. The player to move may ask for
agreement to resignation. Illegal information forfeits the
game. An announced resignation cannot be retracted.
- A rotation error can be claimed only when the move just
played was out of rotation. If the claimed rotation error was
intentional, the game is forfeited immediately. If the
claimed rotation error was unintentional, the offending pair
receives 3 points penalty (gives their opponents 3 stones as
captives). The game is always continued from the last person
in a normal order.